meaning: using facts and not influenced by personal feelings or beliefs:
impartially, neutrally, fairly, justly, without prejudice, with an open mind, equitably, without fear or favour, even-handedly, without bias – to view a situation objectively.
So often we suffer over troubling situations, we go over and over what we could say to this person or that. We think up all sorts of scenarios of how they should or could be. We relentlessly try to come up with ways to control outcomes. We create enormous stories in our mind that can last for decades, which in most cases wont make one ounce of difference, except for depleting our energy levels and taking up our time.
- Decide to view the situation objectively.
- Take all the names, relationships and who did what out of the situation.
- What are the facts that are present?
- Wait for a moment for the unwanted matter to fall away in your mind.
- Allow the truth to come to the surface.
- What is left is only the GOLD of the situation.
Here is an example…
A friend asks you over for dinner, they don’t give you a time of arrival. When you phone to make arrangements they don’t answer your calls. Last time you went to their place for a meal they had been drinking all day and forgot you were coming. You feel very uncomfortable about the whole situation, you do care about this person and are worried about their drinking, but you don’t want to get stuck at their place hungry and angry again.
Let’s GOLD pan this situation…
- This person clearly isn’t reliable.
- Evaluate the situation – is this a friendship or a co-dependency?
- If I want to remain friends, I will need to call the shots.
- Is this my problem?
- Remove myself from the emotional entanglement.
- The gift here is that I have repeatedly witnessed the history … and can now stop participating in it.
The gold in this particular experience is very clear – there is always a CHOICE POINT.
Try this tool of empowerment in your life and see if you can strike some GOLD!!